The high priestly prayer of the Lord Jesus Christ recorded in John 17 emphasizes giving, that He was sent by the Father, unity of the Father and Son and of believers with God, and the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Since this is a conversation between the Son and the Father, Me means Jesus Christ, and You / Your refers to God the Father. To honor both, I capitalize all references to deity.
- “Father . . . glorify Your Son . . . .” vs. 1
- “ . . . that Your Son may glorify You.” Vs. 1
- “I have brought You glory on earth . . . .” vs. 4
- “. . . and now, glorify Me in Your presence with the glory I had . . . .” – vs. 5
- And glory has come to me through them.” – vs.10
- “I have given them the glory that You gave Me, that they may be one as We are one . . . .” – vs. 22. Observe that this 22nd verse could be put in the “Give” section, the “Glory” section and the “Unity section.
Give, Given, Gave or Giving appear 16 times.
- “. . . He [Christ] might give eternal life” – vs. 2 . . .
- “. . . to all those You have given Him.” – vs. 2
- “. . . the work You gave Me to do.” – vs. 4
- “. . . those You gave Me out of the world.” – vs. 6
- “. . . they were Yours; You gave them to Me . . . .” – vs. 6
- “. . . everything You have given Me.” – vs. 7
- “. . . for I gave them the words You gave Me . . . .” – vs. 8
- “. . . for those you have given Me . . . .” – vs. 9
- “. . . the power of Your name, the name You gave me . . . .” – vs. 11
- “. . . by the name You gave Me.” – vs. 12
- “I have given them Your word . . . .” – vs. 14
- “I have given them the glory that You gave Me . . . .” – vs. 22
- “Father, I want those You have given Me to be with Me . . . .” – vs. 24
- “. . . to see . . . the glory You have given Me . . . .” – vs. 24
The God-Man emphasizes that (1) He has been sent by the Father and that (2) His followers know this and believe this. Establishing this was important to our Lord.
- “whom You [God the Father] have sent.” Vs. 3
- “They knew with certainty that I came from You, and they believed that You sent Me.” – vs. 8
- “As You sent Me into the world, I have sent them into the world.” – vs. 18
- “May they also be in Us so that world may believe that You have sent Me.” – vs. 21
- “may they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that You sent Me . . . .”
- “. . . so that they may be one as we are one.” – vs. 11
- “. . . that all of them [believers; Christians] may be one, Father, just as You are in Me and I am in You.” – vs. 21
- “I in them and You in Me. – vs. 23
- “May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that You sent Me . . . .” – vs. 23. This verse has both a reference to “unity” and to being “sent.”
Application Each of these – and other themes – are worthy of thought and meditation. Linger over these and let them nourish you. Soak them into your mind and let them wash over you, that “times of refreshing may come from the Lord (Acts 3:19).